Barron Aviation does not do engine major overhauls in house. We have found we can not compete with the specialty engine shops in quality, turn around time, or price. We do top end work in house when necessary, but usually send the cylinders off for a complete top overhaul as well. We try to have some low or sero time engines in stock for those unfortunate short notice engine needs. For planned engine overhauls we will coordinate with any reputable shop of your choice and handle the whole process for you. That includes engine removal, transportation, and re-installation as well as set-up adjustments and operational checks.
To research engine shops feel free to call us or contact the shops directly. We usually have up to date information from the shops and get timeframe priority and other benefits from some of them. Keep in mind what is actually included with an "Engine Overhaul". This includes the engine itself, carburetor, distributor, magneto, wiring harness and oil pump.
The following is a list of other things to consider while performing an engine overhaul. Once again, this is the most efficient time to do any of the items on the list below as needed.
- New spark plugs (not included with new engine)
- Overhaul of other accessories (starter, Generator/alternator, vacuum pump. fuel pump(caution), prop governor, oil cooler)
- New engine mounts (lord)
- New ignition coil
- Inspect and re-paint engine mount assembly
- Repair / Replace engine baffeling as necessary
- Repair / Replace exhaust system as necessary
- Repair exhaust shrouding as necessary
- Replace all hoses and lines in the engine compartment
- Replace engine controls
- Modifications (intake tube drains, alternator kit, silicon bottom engine baffels, etc.)